Wednesday, January 10, 2007

What's Goin' On?


All day long, I've been singing Marvin's lyrics:

Mother, mother
There's too many of you crying
Brother, brother, brother
There's far too many of you dying
You know we've got to find a way
To bring some lovin' here today

Father, father
We don't need to escalate
You see, war is not the answer
For only love can conquer hate
You know we've got to find a way
To bring some lovin' here today

Words are everything. We choose them carefully, because we don't want to mis-communicate, because we want to be understood, or......because we want to hide the truth. So, today it's a surge of troops. 90,000 over the next five years; longer tours of duty. That's what I call "Escalation".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,

Thank you for the "adventure" comment on my blog. I appreciate it. You pretty much said in fewer words what I was trying to say. I guess that's why you will always be the teacher and I will always be the student.

I've enjoyed reading yours and Corky's blogs. It's nice to get to know you again. I would like to make a contract with you, however...

in regards to any political posts that we make on our blogs, let's try not to enter into any frivolous arguments with each other that may hinder our renewed relationships. In other words, I know that we would "clash" politically. However, I'm pledging that I am not going to post argumentative comments on your blog or e-mail you about any political posts that you may make. I would appreciate the same. I just don't want something as fleeting as politics to come between us. I'm saying all of this because I've seen it happen before. Instead, we should be focused on our love for each other, our faith in Christ and our hope for eternity.

I love you guys and I will always hold you in high regard,

Paul Durham

Hope Butcher said...

If love were better understood by people, i.e. if people didn't associate love with hurt, break-ups, conditions, failed relationships-- perhaps it would not seem so ridiculous to people that "only love can conquer hate" and that love CAN be an alternative to war. Unfortunately, people don't understand what love is. People think the ultimate definition of perfect love is defined in Corinthians but really this is only the most basic form of love. There is no other form. If it is not these things, it is NOT love. THIS understanding of love WOULD conquer hate and WOULD be the alternative to war. WE'VE GOT TO FIND A WAY TO BRING SOME LOVIN HERE TODAY.