Saturday, January 27, 2007

Chick Flicks


Okay. So, I've been thinking about this as a great blog discussion for chicks: What's the best chick flick ever? [A major problem for this post is that many of my fellow-bloggers are guys...they can feel free to weigh in on the discussion...it doesn't threaten me!]

I'll begin with what I believe to be the greatest chick flick ever: "An Affair to Remember" starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. Why is it the greatest (and by the way it is acknowledged as such in "Sleepless in Seattle")? Because it has everything a good chick flick needs: a gorgeous leading man (and he's the classiest-ever), a beautiful, believable leading lady, sexy and humorous banter between them, a near tragedy, and a romantic happy ending. Oh, and also transformation of the leading man from "bad boy" to responsible, sensitive but still sexy knight in shining armor.

And who can get through that last scene in her apartment, with the painting and the shawl without sobbing? And after all the great banter, Kerr delivers the greatest line in the movie, "Oh it was nobody's fault but my own. I was looking up. It was the nearest thing to heaven. You were there!" Can anything top that?? I invite your comments.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe I have seen this famous chick flick. However, recently, I watched "Roman Holiday" (Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn) and found it lots of fun! Do you remember this one?
I love the old black and whites. They are full of that theatrical emotion....

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I meant to add that I will try and watch this one soon... at your referral. :)

K E Alexander said...

"Roman Holiday" is a great one! It was Audrey Hepburn's first film. I've always thought Emma looks a lot like AH in that movie. You have to see "AATR". But make sure you have your Kleenex!

Anonymous said...

i have to agree with mom that it is the greatest chick flick ever...without it there might not be chick flicks today...but i have to admit that the notebook is right up there too and probably moulin rouge...oh and i love funny face with my fav audrey hepburn and the hottie fred astaire
mema*

K E Alexander said...

So...Audrey Hepburn seems to be surfacing as a favorite in the Chick Flick genre: Roman Holiday, Funny Face. Also, there is Sabrina (ohhh) and Breakfast at Tiffany's. And, I think Emma's right, anything by Nicholas Sparks is a good candidate.

Hope Butcher said...

Ok, AATR is the best. period.
Also, it's interesting that Audrey falls into the chick-flick category. Most of her movies aren't girly at all but quite artsy and dramatic...almost like the modern-day Wynona Ryder-- sure, we've seen her play the cute personality but she's better known for her dramatic and off-beat characters. I think Audrey's a little bit this way. She's feminine but never sleezy like most girly actresses and she never seems ditzy but there's always a wiser darker side to her instead. What do you think?