Saturday, December 30, 2006

Places I Love 1: Nottingham




It was such a privilege for me to be able to study in England for six years. Sometimes I still can't believe that I was so blessed! What made the six weeks per year even more wonderful was that the place I stayed was beautiful, as much of England is. But there are the "industrial North" cities, where industry has overwhelmed architecture. Nottingham is not one of those. Located in the East Midlands it is perhaps best known for Robin Hood and his archrival, the Sheriff (yes...there actually is a Sherwood Forest and I've been there). There are other notable tourist attractions. Lord Byron's ancestral home is also there as well as the oldest pub in England (so they say). There's a castle of sorts (not a very old one) and some very interesting man-made caves which were used as bomb shelters during WW2. There is a lace manufacturing museum. Nottingham is special to the locals because of its football team, Nottingham Forest. About halfway into my years of study, Starbucks arrived....on every block! By the way, Starbucks in England feels very European; something about it there is different.

What I love about Nottingham is that it is visually pleasing with lots of the color of a European city, but it is manageable. The City Centre feels large, and is almost always crowded with lots of young people, but it is easily navigated. I've been to London, of course, which is vastly different and has its own decided advantages. I've also been to Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds, comparable in size (some larger than Nottingham) but without the artsy character of Nottingham. (Leeds has its own distinction; my favorite things about it are the Victorian shopping arcades).

I savored Saturdays in Nottingham, my reward for accomplishing a lot during the week. I took the bus into the City Centre, disembarking on Friar Tuck Way, walked and walked, enjoying coffee, buying gifts for Corky and the girls (CD stores, Past Times, Laura Ashley) . The Council House is at the center, complete with lots of pigeons. There are two malls, large department stores (Debenham's features foods and linens designed by Jane Asher), lots of interesting food places, churches and small shops. Food vendors on the street sell "jacket potatoes" with prawns, etc.and flower vendors sell absolutey beautiful bouquets. I always ended up at Waterstone's Books, of course, W. H. Smith (books and stationery), Boots [pharmacy headquartered in Nottingham), and the Denbey Pottery outlet.

So, I'm posting some photos I found which make me "homesick".

2 comments:

Derek said...

Hey, I can't believe you missed me off that list mate...

...Great to hear from you, I'll be in touch real soon,

Derek.

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl,

Long time no see! I have totally enjoyed becoming re-aquainted with Hope via the Blog-site! Congrats on your very lovely family, especially your newest addition! There was a time when I would've been green with envy at your European Study opportunity -in fact,the temptation is still there! lol But I have come to realize that God will reserve the right to guide us as He will. Jonathan has been to Israel, Gene & I have still not been there,for example. Still as you said in your opening remarks, the "Lines have fallen to me in pleasant places" as well! We have had decidedly different adventures to be sure! Yet, there are only pleasant places in God - after one gets all the way in at least! lol Christianity at the center of His will is peace, Like the eye of the hurricane. Christianity on the edge, however, is like riding the outside of the Hurricane! How would I know that? lol I have finally got the emotional-mental healing I need to be able to get all the way in, Not that I've arrived at that!

We have seven very well adjusted wonderful children (a miracle in itself, all things considered), four of them are teens at this point! Gene's Mom lives with us now, she is not able to live alone. We had the privilege of having Dad for the last year of his life. We've seen God do many miraculous & wonderful things. We are starting to get a clue to His goodness!

We are entering that time when everyone is starting to grow up. We know the "water is stirred", so to speak, that there is change in the air. We hope this year to move to a bigger home, and start our own business from home, for starters. We do not know what God may have in the way of ministry ahead, besides the obvious of course; to serve Him as opportunity arises & bring Him Glory in Word, thought & deed. We are, at the moment,discipling our children for Christ(as well as supplying their academic requirements), helping Mom find her place of service, and doing what we can in the church with the scant time we have left over. I write a little, have some children's books pending (trying to get time to publish them) and Gene has several creative works on-going. I have started voice lessons to eliminate the hoarseness at the end of each worship session, and to simply get some discipline for this art. I am really enjoying learning the proper techniques, and some opera in the process! It is so much fun. I have finally learned the meaning of the words "rest", "relax" & "fun"! Will wonders never cease?

I am glad to hear of your family's ongoing successes & accomplishments. There is so much talent there.

Well this was longer than I intended, I fear I am rambling, so I will conclude my thoughts with some heart felt sentiments. I hope the lines keep falling as you wish, and that this new year & the ones to come bring all the happiness of a well lived life!

Loves & Hugs to you & yours,