Monday, December 25, 2006

Mary and the Spirit of Christmas



"My Soul Does Magnify the Lord!" Mary, though often overlooked by Protestants, is a model of worship in the Spirit. The Spirit of the Lord has overshadowed her, brooded over her, performing a creative act; it is an act that can only be performed by Divinity. And in the Spirit she worships and prophesies, foreshadowing all prophesying daughters.

On this Christmas Day, I still anticipate the fulfillment of Mary's prophecy: the lowly will be exalted and the oppressive ones will be brought low. That is the Hope of Christmas: the Great Reversal began on the day of Jesus' conception by a virgin of the Holy Spirit. And as we wait, already we see the signs of the reversal. Even so, come Lord Jesus!

7 comments:

Hope Butcher said...

I don't want to worship Mary but I have often been bothered by our disregard for the awesome role she played in the story of the gospel; especially now that I have given birth myself! Not that she did it all on her own, but we must acknowledge the bravery and dedication that went into her sacred assignment. I have given birth and I think any other birth-warrior mama will agree when I say, that was no small or easy task and it was just as much her focus on the job that brought us the gospel as it was the destiny of His life. Knowing what I know from giving birth, God might have been present but He was not on her mind...she was thinking about survival and pushing. After all, I don't ever believe we are asked to do something for the Lord and then overtaken by the hands of God. I believe we are as much involved in the work as He is. He wouldn't ask us if He wanted to do it all Himself.

Anonymous said...

I recently preached a little message on this and I agree with you completely. I wish the greater portion of the church had a vision like Mary's. Hers was the truest vision of God.

Corky Alexander said...

This is a beautiful and needed thought.Merry Christmas, Mother!

m.d. mcmullin said...

This reminded me of that song that was popular several years ago "Mary did you know?" I always wanted to scream "YES - that's the whole point, she knew this was supernatural and would change the world!"

Protestants are afraid to talk about Mary too positively.

ndfugate said...

i am afraid to talk about anyone to positively. ;)

Robb said...

I preached about this too, and talked about Mary's willingness to follow the word of God. She was blessed by doing so, and continues to "model" for us in that way worship in the Spirit.

Robb said...

I preached about this too, and talked about Mary's willingness to follow the word of God. She was blessed by doing so, and continues to "model" for us in that way worship in the Spirit. As we follow her model of obedience we have the opportunity to particapate in the already of renewal. Amen, Boss. Maranatha!