Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day and Girls' Night at the Movies: A Review



I celebrated Mother's Day with my family...all but Corky, who was shoutin' at Al Green's church in Memphis. I'm not bitter. We went to church where my pastor, Travis Ballinger, preached a great message, "10 Things My Mother Taught Me". I don't like Mother's Day sermons, as a rule. I don't like any church service which focuses on civic or Hallmark holidays. But Travis managed to preach a real Pentecostal sermon, with stories about his mother's prayers, faith and giving.

After church, Hope, Josh and Lex came home with Emma and Leslie and I. I cooked. I hate holiday crowds at restaurants. I also baked a cherry pound cake (the part not eaten yesterday was promptly frozen this morning!). I took a nap with Lex which was the best gift of all.

The girls and I watched "Dream Girls" and "The Queen". Two very different movies, I know. But both focus on the stories of two very strong women. My thoughts on each:

"Dream Girls" is most noteworthy for its music and kickin' singing, of course. That Jennifer Hudson can flat-out sing. And Beyonce nailed it as well. The film does a good job of showing the rise of the Motown sound, even if it is a loose interpretation. What is said in a subtle way is that the music had to be "whitewashed" in order to market it. And it had to have visual sex appeal. The character that the story turns on, Effie, is a strong, proud African-American woman, with real talent. So, its a story of Black Power (gaining position and status so as to effectuate change, which Deana does) and Black Pride (Effie). And did I mention the great music??

"The Queen" is a remarkable telling of a true story of not so long ago. Like "Dream Girls" it is the story of a societal paradigm shift. How does an institution of a bygone era (the Monarchy), with its protocol and image-bearing, survive and become relevant in an age of "reality TV" and "casual Fridays"? She's an amazing woman, doing what she knows to do, but for whom I have little sympathy. She's held her finger in the dike for so long, surrounded by playboys and elitist socialite women, that she cannot imagine removing it, even though its arthritic.

Thanks, Hope, Emma and Leslie for a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Corky Alexander said...

Little bitter about the pound cake...