Saturday, May 12, 2007

All Things Familiar: Andy Griffith


I heard an interview with Andy Griffith this morning. He has a supporting role in the new movie "Waitress" (which sounds interesting). Griffith, being a NC native, feels like family to me, though, of course, I've never met him. I've had several near misses however. My aunt and uncle, Don and Margaret Whichard, pastored in Mt. Airy, NC (his hometown; the town on which Mayberry is based). My cousin, Johnathan, married a Mt. Airy native, Kristi, whose uncle owns the barber shop on which Floyd's shop was based. Then, a couple of years ago, when Hope and Josh lived in OBX, we ate in Manteo, AG's present home town. Of course we rode around, trying to find his house. Andy is a UNC alum who played in "The Lost Colony" while in college.

He seems to be a fine person. He provided laptops for all the school children in Manteo recently.

Most are familiar with "The AG Show" but a lot of people haven't heard his stand-up routines from his earliest career. We used to have an audio tape which, though priceless, somehow got lost. Here's an audio clip of one of his most famous routines: "What It Was Was Football". Here's a link to a site where you can purchase this CD with this, "Romeo and Juliet", "Swan Lake", et al. I intend to purchase it right away!!

1 comment:

Travelin' On said...

I am so glad you brought up this memory. When I was in high school in Louisiana (L.W. Higgins to be exact) my English teacher, Mrs. Nunn, played that LP of Romeo and Juliet for us! (you think that's why I became so drawn to Shakespeare?)ha I was definitely "hooked on English" because of Ms. Nunn's creativity in the classroom.
Only Andy G. could tell it like that!
Whatever happened to such good clean fun?
My only brush with A.G. greatness was getting an autographed copy of Goober's book at Dollywood. Still have it. :)