Sunday, May 4, 2008

More Family Togetherness



This week-end we traveled to my hometown, Rock Hill, SC for the reunion of the Newton side of my family. My mom's brother and sister-in-law, Wayne and Lil Newton, have taken the responsibility for the last few years of organizing this early summer event. This year there were four generations present (Lex representing the 4th). Most of my family are in the ministry (pastors, teachers, worship leaders, missionaries) so we have a lot in common beyond just blood. In spite of the holiness background, we did have fun dancing this year: YMCA, Macarina, Hokey-Pokey and Square Dancing. Few of us have any real talent in that area. Maybe, being holiness, we missed the moment in learning because the "young people" present all seem to be able to move! Of course, we dance in church, but that tends to be less-choreographed in our tradition!! Anyway, it was all great fun.

The hi-lite was having my Uncle Wayne officiate at the baby dedication for his young grandson, Christian Taylor Newton. Christian is the son of my first cousin Chip and his wife, Jennifer. This was both a dedication and a celebration of Chip's healing. About 7 years ago, Chip was diagnosed with testicular cancer, undergoing both radical surgery and radiation therapy. A newlywed at the time, he was told unequivocally he would not be able to father children. But the Great Physician saw the prognosis differently! Chip and Jennifer are now the parents of two beautiful children, Anna Grace (appropriately named!) and Christian Taylor! I know Mamaw and Papaw Newton were shoutin' and rejoicing with their kids, grandkids and great-grandkids yesterday!!

2 comments:

Fred said...

Kim, I understand the "holiness" part of family and what that meant to us as young people growing up. I remember square-dancing in a 4-H club dance when I was in 8th grade and hoping the Lord didn't come -- or worse -- somehow Mama and Daddy would find out about it! Lol. The other side of the "holiness" teaching was faith for divine healing and miracles. What a wonderful testimony this is of Chip's healing. Praise God!

Fred said...

Kim, I understand the "holiness" part of family and what that meant to us as young people growing up. I remember square-dancing in a 4-H club dance when I was in 8th grade and hoping the Lord didn't come -- or worse -- somehow Mama and Daddy would find out about it! Lol. The other side of the "holiness" teaching was faith for divine healing and miracles. What a wonderful testimony this is of Chip's healing. Praise God!