Thursday, September 20, 2007

On Racisim, Naivete and School Boards

At a high school assembly on Aug. 30, 2006, a black freshman asked the assistant principal whether African-Americans could sit under a tree that had traditionally been used only by whites.

The school official replied, "You can sit anywhere you want."

The next morning, students arrived at classes to find the nooses -- two black, one gold, the official school colours. After learning three white students were responsible, Scott Windham, the principal, recommended they be expelled for the year.

A school board committee ruled the incident was a prank without racial overtones and reduced the punishment to an in-school suspension. (National Post)

God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board. (Mark Twain)

3 comments:

Robb said...

Is there anything Mark Twain did not comment on?

This is atrocious- and the saddest part is that it is being passed down if high school age is perpetrating.

Travelin' On said...

I went to elementary school in Jena, Louisiana in 1969. Louisiana was very segregated! At that time, there was only ONE African American in the whole school and as I recall he was the son of one of the teachers. I grew up in lots of racial tensions in that part of the country and back then I was often 'afraid' of the African Americans. I think it is because of how our culture was in the 60's; rather than try to understand and learn each other, we simply drew lines in the sand and stayed segregated.
It is sad that this incident was handled so inappropriately.
When I saw the 20,000 or so marching on Jena, I thought of that one African America classmate that used to be the "only one" in our little school and I wondered if he just might be marching on Jena yesterday.

Yes, later Louisiana became "de-segregated" but it was basically forced and the segregation remained in the hearts of the people though not as physically evident.

Travelin' On said...

For good measure, I should also add, that I am so glad that I am no longer afraid of another culture nor am I afraid to get to know someone because they seem "different." I pray for peace and justice for Jena, La. in all this. I hope we don't take multiple steps backwards! Maybe some have never taken any steps forward. ?