Thursday, January 8, 2009

Generational Blessings


While we hear a lot about "generational curses" in pop theology, we rarely hear much about "generational blessings". It seems to me that Scripture has much more to say about the latter! While the ultimate act of blessing is the work of God, it is a fact that the patriarchs (and I would say matriarchs as well) made much of blessing the next generation and therefore the generations to come.

Though I have some room in my theology for generational curses which are supernatural by nature (demonic in origin), I have more room for "curses" which are brought on the the next generation through bad choices, poor modeling and sinful lifestyles of the elders, mostly the works of the flesh or worldly aspirations. In a similar way, the next generation, and those after can be blessed through right choices, good and intentional modeling and godly (and healthy) lifestyles.

I recently read a quote from "The Great Law of The Iroquois Confederacy" ((oddly enough, I read it on a detergent bottle!): "In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations."

If I consider the impact of my decisions with that kind of sobriety, not only will my children be blessed but so will theirs and those for at least seven generations to come.

Is this not something of what it means to live a life of holiness?

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Hey Kim,

I mentioned you in my post today =)