Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity

I've spent the better part of the evening finishing this book. It was recommended by both Steve Land and Cheryl Johns, and being the good student, I always read what my teachers recommend! They've never led me astray!

William P. Young's novel uses the story of one man's confrontation with his own demons to teach us what it means to be authentically human (hint: it doesn't have anything to do with self-sufficiency!). It is a story that encompasses every parents' nightmare, every theologian's speculations and every follower's questions.

Young's own story (found on the book website) may be intertwined in Mack's but so is yours and so is mine. Eugene Peterson has called this the Pilgrim's Progress for our time". I was reminded more of Hinds' Feet on High Places, but as Papa says to Mack, "Stories about a person willing to exchange their life for another are a golden thread in your world, revealing both your need and my heart."

4 comments:

Hope Butcher said...

hi mommy

K E Alexander said...

hey Sweetie! Welcome home! You should read this book. It is phenomenal.

Fred said...

My goodness, Kim! How do you find time to balance reading this book together with chaperoneing the kids plus all the other things you guys do?

joel w. clackum said...

This sounds great! I'm adding the title immediately to my list... and oh what a growing list it is!