Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Reflection and/or Relaxation?


Most of you know: I'm on sabbatical. For someone who is task-oriented, routine-driven as well as guilt-driven, time spent in reflection, reading, studying often feels like "wasting time". It's hard being the oldest daughter of Builder Generation Parents! I didn't struggle as much with this guilt when I was in England, as I was paying good money to go there to further my education. Anyway, my retired pastor friend, Lowell Brannen, must feel the same way. Here's a poem he recently wrote and posted on his blog:

The Sighs of a Sluggard

The day has come, the day has gone,
And here I sit. I’m all alone.
The day was short, and not so kind,
I could not satisfy my mind.

Were you out there? I should have known.
You did not speak. Then you were gone.
But then I thought, Why should you care,
About my plight, or my despair.

I had the day just like you did,
And all day long, My face I hid.
I could have called, or visited,
But here is what I did instead:

I sat me down upon my chair,
And focused only on the air.
I only thought of me myself,
And all my dreams upon the shelf.

I viewed them over in my mind,
And knew that they were left behind.
What a wise man I’d have been,
If I had only let you in.

Time and time and time again,
I know you tried to be my friend,
But I refused to let it be,
Because of my concern for me.

Why, oh why did I do wrong,
By doing nothing for so long?
Now, it’s gone. My days are spent.
And for this sin, I now repent.

— Lowell A. Brannen

2 comments:

Fred said...

Kim, at least while you rest could you sing "Old McDonald Had a Farm"? I might be tempted to shout!

L A Brannen said...

I feel honored that anyone, especially you, would think enough of my poem to post it on their blog. Thanks for making me feel good about my creation. Janis and I enjoyed the visit with you and Corkey at Momma's Saturday. I wish we could have stayed longer but you know how life is. Hope to see you all again soon.