Thursday, January 3, 2008

Gift


It is possible that the gift I will appreciate longest was given to me by Corky, who knows me well. (Ironically, I had already purchased it for Hope!) The gift was Caroline Kennedy's A Family Christmas. Kennedy has collected many well-known and some lesser known readings on Christmas including Scripture, familiar stories such as "The Gift of the Magi" and "The Night Before Christmas", letters ("Yes, Virginia....", her letter to Santa from 1961, JFK's letter to a young girl about Christmas and the Missile Crisis) and other genre by writers including Twain, Keillor and Elliot. One of the most enlightening is the 2006 instructions to those employed by Macy's to portray Santa. Kennedy's introduction is wonderful as she reminisces about her mother's traditions. I look forward to enjoying this beautiful work for years to come.

2 comments:

Corky Alexander said...

I am glad you like it. What gift would you like for me to spend some money for next?

Robb said...

My mother would love this book. It sounds cool and anything to do with the Kennedys she loves very much as well.